Monday, June 27, 2005

Don't Need No Hateration in This Sodomy...

I got the following comment from a concerned viewer and I feel that I need to respond about my intentions with this site. First, the comment (Which was in response to the Deb telling Carl she wanted to return to the diner scene):

Ouch. This is harsh. Not meaning to stomp down on your freedom of speach, but QaF is corny and does silly things like that. Cliches galore, but always with a twist. I loved that scene! It make me laugh. It was so Debbie! I honestly can't FATHOM drop kicking Debbie. It sounds so horrible! Debbie is such a wonderful character and she didn't DO anything wrong. She yet again pulls another Independent Woman. She's FABulos.

I honestly can't see how this was insulting OR boring because the whole time WE as audiences KNEW nothing was wrong but liked to see Carl twitch. It was 100% Debbie.

I'm confused by this post and the link that goes into further exploration of QaF. Yes, as a fan you are allowed to point out the show short comings, but I almost feel you aren't a fan at all. You seem more intent on ripping it apart and saying how annoyed you are at so-and-so that I don't think you see the good. QaF isn't so much serious and stoic, but likes to make fun of itself and put all those silly little cliches out there for people to laugh at. Don't take the show so seriously! Just enjoy it for what it's worth! Good Laughs and characters to hold dear to your heart. I'm sorry if I offend. That's NOT my intention. I just wanted more dialouge.


I responded with the following:

Oh sweetie, no offense taken at all!Have you read any of the other recaps? Most of my stuff in there are jokes said with love.

The show is corny and fluffy and it's one of my favorites (otherwise I wouldn't be recapping it!), but it does take itself way too seriously at times.I look at it like that little brother that just can't get right. You love him, and you'll always be there for him, but sometimes he just gets on your last nerve!

That's how I feel about QAF. Please take time to read some of the other recaps, you'll find their filled with honest emotion, both good and bad!

I know I bag on the show a lot, but after four years I think you find a certain form of comfort with it. I feel I can poke fun because I've been with this show since the very beginning, even when I'm being mean, I love the show to death.

If I let everything go, every confusing plot, horrific line, out of character action, I think it would do a disservice to my readers. Because for the most part you've noticed these things too, and for me not to make commentary on them would be saying that I wasn't as invested as I am. The Deb scene for example, on the surface is a very cute and airy scene, but it's one that long term fans knew was coming from the very second we heard Rosie was going to be a guest star. So when I say it was boring, I mean that it was so overwhelmingly predictable! We knew it was going to happen before the writers did!

Now, I'm not saying that I know everything (because Lord knows I don't!), but I like to get people to think about different things, and I love getting other's reactions so I can do the same. It's the reason that I love all of the message boards and journals, because the way you saw something could be the complete and polar opposite from how someone else has viewed it.

Anyhow, that's my spiel. I hope I didn't offend the poster by republishing their comments. It was in not way to embarrass or call out, in fact, I'm glad she asked because it allowed me to touch on a subject that I'm sure others have had issues with.

I hope this answers some questions, and if you have any more, please feel free to ask!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I have to disagree with the person who wrote to you Stickkeys. First, the show IS meant to be taken seriously. Has the person read the NUMEROUS articles from Cowlip about how great and groundbreaking the show is? And how if you criticize it you don't truly understand the show? This is not to be a fun and campy show. Why else are they trying to tackle all these serious issues? They constantly pat themselves on the back for the "wonderful" and hard hitting writing. I honestly don't know why I watch this trainwreck of a show. No, actually I watch because I like Michael/Ben and I like to stare at Ben and fantasize. I laugh and roll my eyes at everything else.
kathy1977

6/27/2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Everyone has their own views, I just happen to agree fully with yours!

Heh, I love the show for it's campy drama. It pulled me in with gay sex and Hal Sparks and kept me with Gay Sex, fun characters, Hal Sparks and BEN!

If I have any readers in the Ne area let me know so we can plan a kick@ss QAF party!

6/27/2005 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sticky Keys! Just wanted to say that you can tell from your recaps that you love QAF. Just because you're a fan of the show, it doesn't mean you can't find faults in it and see how they could have made it better. Your recaps remind me of the ones of seasons 1 and 2 at Television Without Pity, but you can tell that your comments and jokes always come from a good place. Your writing is so entertaining I'm reading the recaps before I've seen season 5! Keep up the good work.
Brit Girl

6/30/2005 9:13 AM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Thank you so much Brit Girl! Your comments were just lovely.

Your recaps remind me of the ones of seasons 1 and 2 at Television Without Pity

This? Blew my mind! Thank you so much, I strive to be only 1/4 good as those recaps are!

Please continue to read and leave comments. I hope I'm doing a good job for those who don't watch the show, I forget to think about that sometimes...

6/30/2005 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to QAF Season 5 Recaps!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.