Saturday, June 04, 2005

B-A! B-Y! M-A! M-A!: QAF Recap Ep 503 05-29-05 Page 5

This goes out to Deb, the ultimate Baby Mama!
by Sticky Keys Queer As Folk Episode 503 Aired 5-29-05

Deb’s Diner
Emmett is complaining about his shoddy treatment to Ted. I really like Ted’s hair here. The lighter color for some reason is working for him and it does make it look like there’s more hair. All in all a good move Teddy. Of course as I said before, I know nothing so take that with whatever grain of salt you have available. Emmett says they looked at him like he was from Uranus. He doesn’t care what they say, “It’s always good to come back to your home sweet homo.” Now I agree with that on a certain level, but in Torontosburgh where apparently the gay outnumber the straights and to the point of having exclusively gay neighborhoods, I refuse to believe that a place where they’ll hire niggers, spics, chinks, and oldies, they have a problem with homos. This is PLANTAINS!

Ted says he used to feel the same way after a day at Wortshafters, but Emmett tells him that due to Ted’s ability to pass as straight, it’s easier for him. Reel back that entitlement Em, just because you have the ability to fade into your surroundings doesn’t make it any less sucky. Sometimes it’s even more so since you feel like you can’t be true to yourself at times. At work, I’m the only person of color at the front desk. This is an automatic hindrance, but because of this, I speak and act in a way that I know they’ll deem as “professional”. Just because I can do that and succeed though, doesn’t mean that I don’t hate them all and wouldn’t hesitate to not inform them if the building were on fire. Because I do, and I wouldn't. Emmett says his flame has always burned too big and too bright. Ted gives him an astute “screw you hater!” glance and then tells him to use his burning flame to heat up his soup. I asked my best friend to proof read one of these to see if it made any sense to someone who didn’t actively watch the show. She told me that it might be funny to someone who knew what the jokes meant. There was an awkward silence, and I gave her the Ted, “Screw you Hater!” look as she laughed nervously. Point? I got your back Ted!

Emmett laments that whenever he played on a team he ended up on the bench and he didn’t want that to happen this time. We move over to Deb and Justin at the counter. Deb is messing up a Help Wanted sign and Justin offers to help. Randy Harrison has the strangest “I once was a boy… but now I’m a MAN” look going on with himself in general. It’s very Anthony Federov. He has these weird angles that aren’t fully defined yet and it’s awkward and beautiful all at the same time.

Justin asks who’s leaving and Deb says it’s her. Justin says that Deb can’t leave the diner for she is the diner and what will they do without her? Deb says that they’ll probably complain that the hash isn’t crisp enough, and the soup isn’t hot enough, she looks at Ted, “and don’t think I didn’t hear that!” Ted of course has this great reaction face.

Justin asks if something is wrong to which Deb replies no. She says that after 25 years of complaining about not finding a man, she’s finally got one and won’t spend some quality effing time with him! While I know this “retirement” thing won’t last, I don’t find this too out of character for Deb. The only thing she loves more that complaining about how hard she has it, is allowing others to heap on the praise, so I think she’ll live it up for a while before caving in. Justin’s done with the sign and Deb calls it a work of art but never shows it too us. Some of the greatest works of art are those unseen I guess.

BriBri’s Loft (speaking of art, you have to hand it to the man, he can decorate a loft!)
Justin is printing some crazy pics and Brian comes home and gives him and extremely domesticated hug. It’s very interesting to see these two in a situation that isn’t directly before or after sex and/or fighting. You can tell there is love present, but you also know that it’s there in total conflict with whatever perception lies in their relationship. Justin wants desperately to be a normal couple, but is hiding it because he knows Brian isn’t budging. I think on some levels Brian would like to be normal, but knows that if he isn’t rebellious, that no one else will be at the level that he was able to. It’s a tug of war of emotions and these little subtle nuances are really worth the watch if you’re into that sort of thing. And I think you are.

Brian looks at Justin’s work and says it’s good. Justin says it’s brilliant, and based on the beauty of the past 15 seconds; I’m going to let that one slide. Brian has my back though and says, “An artist can never have too high of an opinion of himself…” which I count as a point towards the “Shut Up, Justin” category. Justin tells us that the prints were for his final school project. Brian says it still can be, but Justin says it’s too late. And it would have been if the Hollywood thing worked out, but it didn’t so that little art degree would get you some places. “Why don’t you just go back and finish the little bit of school you have left?” says the girl who took a 6-month break from college and hasn’t been back in 4 years. I’ll be quiet now.

Brian says that after Hollywood, it would seem like a prequel to go back, and Justin adds that it wouldn’t be a very good one. Okay, y’all know how much I hate Rage the movie, but could you imagine the campy awesomeness of Rage the prequel? I almost want Rage to get made just so the prequel could get green-lighted. I really like prequels; it’s a strange thing for me.

Justin says he’s looking for a new beginning and Brian offers him a full time career at Kinetic. Justin declines saying “It’s time I make my own way in the world”. He then proceeds to walk around the loft, wear clothes, and eat food that he didn’t pay for. Brian says it’s just as well because he’s about to lose his shirt over the failures at Babylon. He starts to change and Justin asks where he’s going. He says to the galleria formerly known as Babylon. Justin starts “when I was in LA-ing” about how the clubs would have lines around the block of people waiting to get in. Brian says it sounds great, but Justin says it was really no different that what they have here, they just made it seem like it was.

Brian gets this stupid epiphany and says, “Sunshine, how did I ever get along without you?” Justin says he didn’t and I’m really inclined to disagree, really inclined. But they don’t care what I think; they care about getting it on. Bow chicka wow wow, indeed.

Previous Page

Enter your email address below to subscribe to QAF Season 5 Recaps!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.