Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Very Special Episode of Queer As Folk: QAF 510 07-17-05 Page 7

By StickyKeys Queer As Folk Episode 510 Aired 07-17-05

Patients and Patience and Transfusions and Confusion
We are in the hospital and we get the ER treatment of showing a segment (Brian at the counter) then blackness, showing another segment (Ben sitting in the waiting room) then blackness. It’s very dramatic and I think effective in this instance. It’s like an eye blinking. For some reason this is very reminiscent of the scene in the first episode of the series where Mikey and Ben are running through the corridors while Gus is being born. Does anyone remember if they used this technique? Blackness, Deb, blackness, MeLinds, blackness, Ben. A hand reaches out and grabs Ben’s shoulder and we see it’s Brian who gives him a look of consolation. Deb is wandering around aimlessly and Mel suggests that she sit down. Deb says that she tried that and it didn’t work. In the background we hear the hospital staff trying to adjust to the sudden rush and telling people that they’ll have to wait in the waiting room and they’ll get to them as soon as they can. Deb grows increasingly concerned and wonders out loud what she’ll do if she loses Michael. Ben says, “You’re not going to lose him this is not about you so sit down!” Deb sits down and apologized telling Ben he’s right. Now a lot of people had issue with this scene, I am personally on Ben’s side. Yes, I know that Deb is Michael’s mother, but in a room where you are surrounded by his husband, and his friends, it is rather selfish to wonder what’s going to happen to you if he dies. Because it will affect everyone if he does (which I swear he better not!). Not to say that I don’t understand Deb’s reaction, but I also think Ben’s was appropriate in this instance.

A doctor comes up and doesn’t say anything. I’m guessing that maybe’s he’s a family medic because they all recognize him as being the one that cared for Michael. Brian asks about Mikey’s status and the doctor informs us that Michael lost a lot of blood and will need a transfusion. Brian wants to know what they’re waiting for, and the doctor says that Michael is AB negative and they’re short on his type so they’re checking other hospitals. Brian looks to Deb who motions that she’s not his type. I think this would be a good time to tell everyone that knowing your blood type really helps in these types of situations. It’s one of those things that you hope you’ll never need, but it’s always nice to have handy. Brian says that he’s O negative and since it’s universal he’ll donate the blood. Now I knew that Brian was out of the running because he had cancer, but the doctor asks if he’s gay and Brian and I wonder what that has to do with anything. Ben lets us know that the hospitals won’t take gay blood because of AIDS, and Brian and I ask, “Well what about the studs and bitches that fuck around unprotected, you’ll take their blood won’t you?!” The doctor insists it’s an FDA regulation and I could truly understand that if it were 1985, but this is frickin’ 20 years later and AIDS is growing in everyone, not just gays. I was informed by the lovely posters on Moldy’s board that the measure has since been changed to reflect women who have had sex with men who have had sex with men and so on, but I still think it’s semi-ridonkulous.
Brian is livid and grabs the doctor. Ben holds him back and Brian yells for the doctor to, “Take my blood motherfucker!” Get it Brian! Ben tells Brian that he wouldn’t even be able to give it if he was straight since he has cancer. Brian gets this ohh look, but I’m still behind you baby.

We head back to the club where Drew is wandering through the crowd. Carl points him the in the direction of who I assume is Emmett and Mr. Nelson from Degrassi tries to stop and interview him for some questions. Man, Degrassi High teacher by day, reporter and cable company nightschool partaker by night (He’s in the satellite commercial where the cable guy is teaching them how to screw over their customers). He is a busy man! Mr. Nelson asks if Drew is concerned about losing his fans because he’s gay and yeah right, there is no way that he would ask these question when a frickin’ bomb just exploded. I could see him asking like, “having just come out, how do you feel about the recent events?”, but the other question was just dumb. Drew acknowledges this dumbness and says that at the moment he’s more concerned with people losing their lives. He spots Emmett and runs over and gives him a hug and asks if he’s okay. Emmett says that he has just a little smoke inhalation, but otherwise he’s fine. Drew apologizes for not being there, but Emmett says he's just happy Drew is there now. They hug and Emmett cries tears of relief and anxiety on Drew’s shoulder. It’s very sweet.

We head back to the hospital where the doctor has told us that they stabilized the blood loss, but there was still a lot of internal bleeding from a punctured spleen. Yeah, spleen. Assonthemantle got 500 pts for correctly defining spleen and it’s function. Basically it’s kind of a blood filter, but here’s the actual definition: (put definition). Deb asks if he’ll be alright, but the doctor says that with that amount of blood loss the can only hope for the best. Blood loss from the spleen. I’m sorry y’all, but… spleen? Okay. Doc says he’s going to give them a little time with him and then they’ll need to start prepping. Deb looks at Michael and says, “You better fucking come through this you little shit.” Huh, classy. Ben kisses Mickey’s forehead and we end the scene.


Mending the Broken MeLinds
Mel is in bed with Jenny Rebecca and Linds comes to the doorway holding Gus. Linds says that she’s afraid that she woke Gus, but she just needed to hold him. Mel contends that he’ll go back to sleep. One thing that I find odd about this set up is that Mel seems to be attached more to JR and Linds to Gus, and I understand that, but the only time we’ve seen Linds interact with JR is during the custody thing. I wonder if that’s an issue in gay relationships that have surrogate children? The whole, this is my daughter and that’s your son, but we’re both their parents thing. Anyhow, Mel is sure that Gus will get back to sleep. Linds is about to ask Mel if she’s alright, and then dismisses it as an idiotic question and says of course Mel isn’t alright, and how could anyone be. Melanie says that she’s just grateful, grateful that Linds is always late, and Linds adds that she’s grateful Mel forgot her cell phone. Mel tells Linds to promise her that she’ll never be on time for anything and Linds promises as long as Mel promises she’ll never remember anything. My heart broke here y’all. I remember a time that I hated the lesbians, but they have set up camp in my heart and aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Linds is about to put Gus back in bed when Mel calls her back and invites them into her bed. Linds hesitates, but Mel says please and Linds joins them. It’s very sweet to see them all together and it’s nice they are finally putting aside their differences. They stare long and hard at each other and nuzzle up cuddling their children.


Going to the Chapel
Deb is in the hospital chapel sitting and reflecting and Brian sits in the seat across the aisle from her. Debbie starts by telling us that she’s always been a good Catholic girl even though when it comes to gays and abortion (and birth control and premarital sex, and let’s face it, everything else) she thinks they’re full of shit. She says that despite that she always believed that God knew best and there was a reason for everything that He does. This time though, since it’s something that effected her, she’s not to sure why He let this happen to Michael… and the others. She goes on to say that this time she’s not asking God, she’s telling Him to see that Michael gets through this. I’ve been there Deb, and sometimes my prayers are granted, and there are other times that they haven’t been. Debs adds on that we should take note that she didn’t say, “My son Michael.” because it’s not for her, but for him. Which is still for her, but okay. Brian reaches over and grabs Deb’s hand and Deb asks if he wants to say a prayer. He says no, but tells God that if He knows what’s good for Him, He better fucking listen to Deb. Yeah, I’m sure threatening God’s going to work out gangbusters.


Babylgone
We head back to Babylon where there is still a lot of commotion. We see Cyndi Lauper carrying some guy and I’m glad to see that Cyndi is acting so cool about this. Could you imagine how Xtina or Madonna would react? The guy asks Cyndi if it’s okay that he tell people she saved his life. I thought she said, “Go ahead or my manager will.”, but CC says, “Go ahead, my manager will love it.” How Cyndi is not being swamped by reporters is beond me? Mr. Nelson(?) must have had a late class to attend. Brian is back on the scene and Justin is there. I’m not sure why Justin is still there as it seems like maybe a couple of hours have passed? Justin asks about Michael and Brian says he doesn’t know, but grabs Justin (who’s wearing a paramedic’s jacket again for some reason – did he hook up during the downtime?) and pulls him into a long hug.

And here’s where it gets mind blowingly beautiful people so get your tissues ready. Brian says that when he heard what happened he tried to call Justin’s cell phone but there was no answer, “I was so fucking scared.” Brian’s voice cracks a bit on scared and my heart starts beating a mile a minute. He says that all he kept thinking was, “Please, don’t let anything happen to him.” He pulls Justin in and puts his mouth to his ear, "I love you.” AHHHHHH!!!! Waterworks y’all. What?!?, you what him? Justin is just as shocked as we are and as Brian pulls him back Justin says, “oh”, but not in a jerky way, but in a “who in the what, now?” kind of way. Brian looks him directly in the eyes and says, “I love you.” Justin smiles and cries and kisses Brian. They wrap themselves around each other and hold one another as we end the episode.

We don’t get credit music, but instad traffic noise and what sounds like a helicopter, but is actually an engine stalling. There’s some talk over the two way and some siren noise and we fade to silence.

What an interesting ep. Usually the schlockiness rubs me the wrong way, but I think it worked here. So well done Foreshadowing and Expo, I hope you get those raises you’re gunning for!

Next on QAF:
I didn’t see the next ons, but I did see the episode so I recommend checking out the
recaplet for 511!

See you this weekend kiddies!


Previous Page

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny! I laughed a lot! you are right, in qaf everybody think straight is evil! Anyway, I loved the "I love you" moment, of course, and all the hugs they shared. I'm so Britin....

This recap will help me a lot with the subtitles! thanks :)

8/05/2005 4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another excellent recap, SK!

I agree-Bobby Gant is HAWT!!! Ugh..I love when his hair's all long and hanging in his face...and he has his shirt off....drool.

Also, yeah, the foreshadowing was a BIT heavy handed. As soon as Michael said something about having a dentist appointment next week, I knew he was going to get hurt.

How the heck do you know the difference between Monty and Eli???? Have they ever been introduced separately? Aren't they the same exact people who were on Gay as Blazes???

And yes...sadly, it's true that any man who's had sex with a man since 1985, or any woman who's had sex with a man who's had sex with another man since 1985 is ineligible to donate blood. How archaic and uninformed is our country? The answer is, very.

Thanks again for the wonderful recaps!

~Jamie

8/05/2005 10:47 AM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Petu! Love ya babe, thanks!

--------------------------------

Jamie! Thanks for your wonderful comments and thanks for staying up all hours of the night waiting for the recap!! Me and Blogger almost had a fight last night!

They introduced Monte and Eli separately and it's the only time that I've been intro'd to two characters and didn't mess them up so I was very proud of that.

And Eli's a jerk!

Ha!

8/05/2005 11:23 AM  
Blogger eloquent beguine said...

They even go so far as to dial Brian’s pimp Moto Razr which I would totally own if I didn’t hate Motorola.

I have one. It blows anyway. It just looks cool for all intents and purposes.

8/05/2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

I assumed so, stoopid Motorola!

8/05/2005 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job again. You never fail to make me laugh.

Couple of comments while I have the free time. I actually think they should've played the last part of the song "Lover, I don't have to Love" by Bright Eyes rather than the first because the last part makes more sense for B/J and in particular Brian (it's the song that's playing in Brian's car if you didn't know). These are the lyrics to the last half:

"I want a lover I don't have to love

I want a boy who's so drunk he doesn't talk

Where's the kid with the chemicals

I got a hunger and I can't seem to get full

I need some meaning I can memorize

The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

But you but you You write such pretty words But life's no story book

Love's an excuse to get hurt

And to hurt. Do you like to hurt? I do, I do. Then hurt me" ("Then hurt me" gets repeated then a bunch)

Anyway, you may've already known the rest of the lyrics but just thought I'd through that out there.

I adored Ben in this episode and the only thing I would've slightly changed in regards to what we see with him is I'd have liked to see when he first found Michael after the bomb went off. I realize they set it up pretty cool with Brian coming out and us not knowing what Michael would look like but I just want to know how it played out with him.

My favorite scenes though were probably Brian yelling about the blood and also the chapel scene with Debbie and Brian (who looked to have tears glistening in his eyes and his voice sounded like he was on the edge of losing it). I also enjoyed the way he yelled out Justin's name when getting into Babylon and then when he grabbed and yelled at Emmett when he didn't get an answer as to where Michael was.

I also liked the couple of views we could glimpse of Ben's wedding ring esp. in the waiting room. It just stood out since his hands were darker from the soot(sp?).

It had also made me sad thinking that Michael could die w/o Brian and him ever making up and if this were real life, I'd have to bet that Brian would be regretting how their last conversation went. I liked that Deb's last words to him were "love you" and it was also sad from Ted's standpoint that he sent Michael to the bar.

I think the Mel, Lindz, Gus, Jenny scene was adorable and sad at the same time (the kids are too cute together).

-Mike

8/05/2005 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another fab recap Sticky Keys - well worth the wait. I'm sooo looking forward to seeing this episode.
I have to agree with you that the anti-straight stuff is starting to wear thin. I know they're trying to be political, but maybe someone should tell CowLip that not every straight person wants gays to burn in hell - in fact, some of us even watch their show!!
Looking forward to the next recap.
Brit Girl

8/05/2005 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if Brian were named Kinney, it would be funnier if stories involving him and Mikey were "KinKey". Because I am a dorkus. Haw.

8/05/2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Thanks Mike and Brit girl!

++++++++++++++++

KinKey?!?

BWAH HA HA!!! I love IT!!

+++++++++++++++

8/05/2005 4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

christ why the fuck were everyone trying to call each other on their cell phones, first brian and then hunter. a bomb went off people, no signal and who the hell woudl pick up! And that song does fit their relationship, the one where the melodramam picked up and the lyrics are

picked you out Of a crowd to talk to you Said I liked your shoes
You said thanks can I follow you? So it's up the stairs And out of view
No prying eyes I poured some wine I asked your name you asked the time
Well it's two o'clock Yeah the club is closed we're up the block
Your hands on me Pressing hard against your jeans
Your tongue in my mouth Trying to keep the words from coming out
You didn't care to know Who else may have been here before
I want a lover I don't have to love I want a girl who's to sad to give a fuck
Where's the kid with the chemicals?
I thought he said he'd meet us here but I'm not sure
I got the money if you got the time He said
it feels good I said I'll give it a try
Then my mind went dark We both forgot
where your car was parked Let's just take the train
I'll meet up with the band in the morning
Bad actors with bad habits Some sad singers They just play tragic
Now the phone's ringing And the band's leaving Let's just keep touching
Let's just keep keep singing
I want a lover I don't have to love
I want a boy who's so drunk he doesn't talk
Where's the kid with the chemicals
I got a hunger and I can't seem to get full
I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind
But you but you You write such pretty words
But life's no story book Love is an excuse to get hurt
And to hurt Do you like to hurt? 'Cause I do I do I do This didn't hurt me
Didn't hurt me Oh this hurt me

ALL AND ALL pimp recap, as usual and oh, I love me some Martimmys
( i read the book and they have those little martimmy notes at the bottom of the pages)

8/05/2005 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and did you see Robby Gant on The Closer, holy fuck, he was hot, he played some gay phototographer and man...he was fucking fire. And he had special K, which I will take as a shout out to season one of QAF cause i'm a geek

8/05/2005 7:00 PM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Bobby didn't win me over in the Closer until those photographs!

Gawd dang dog, Gaaaawwwdddd dang!

ps. His man-bangs and Dennis the Mitchell cowlick was ridonkulous!

8/06/2005 12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful recap, as usual! I don't have much to add except to say that I loved Foreshadowing and Expo's input on the commentary. :-)

8/06/2005 12:42 AM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Thanks doll! And thanks for taking time to leave comments, they are greatly appreciated!

8/06/2005 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to QAF Season 5 Recaps!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.