Sunday, July 03, 2005

Life of Brian: QAF Recap 507 06-26-05 Page 6

A Lesson In Standards
by StickyKeys Queer As Folk Episode 507 Aired 06-26-05

Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off
Justin is sitting on the couch as Brian comes home from Babylon, he’s trying to be non-chalant, but you can tell he’s really nervous. Brian gets a bottle of water out of the fridge and we get a flashback to when he and Justin first met, and he poured the water over his head and shook out his hair all sexy like. I think this is Justin’s memory, because he shakes his head a little. It seems like he’s trying to shake the memory out of his head to make what he’s about to do easier. He’s looking for just the right time to say something, but it’s Brian that speaks first.
“Club was packed tonight.”
“Hmm, that’s nice.”
“A line all the way around the block.”
“Great”
“Barely any room on the dance floor.”
“Whatever else happens by all means keep on dancing.” Now Brian’s known that Justin has been unhappy for quite a while. I refuse to believe that they’ve been sleeping together during all of this, but you never know with these two. Brian notices Justin’s lack of response and finally asks him, “What about you dear, how was your evening?” Justin gets up some nerve, and gets off the couch to walk towards Brian, “Not nearly as exciting as yours.” Brian has a sectional that I don’t remember ever remember seeing. It’s gorgeous! It’s a creamy linen color, and just has a basic L shape, but it is resplendent with pillows in various hues of cream and dark brown. Absolutely lovely. Justin is looking nice too. He’s just wearing a blue long sleeved t-shirt, but it works for him and goes smashingly with his white shoes with blue stripes on them. Anyhow, Justin tells Brian what he did for the evening, “I spent it here alone, thinking. And don’t say, ‘always a dangerous sign’.” Brian pulls the zipper on his mouth shut.

Justin continues, “I made some decisions.” Brian asks about what, and Justin says his life. Brian kind of raises his eyebrows and says, “ah”. Justin continues that he’s finally discovered what he wants. Brians tells Justin, “I thought you already had that worked out. You were going to live off your considerable Hollywood wealth and try your hand at being an artist.” I like this reaction from Brian because it’s very, “see? I listen to you, I know your dreams!” It’s such an interesting development because Brian is trying everything he can think of to not make this conversation happen, but still keep his pride. Justin’s not having it though, “Why are you making fun of me?” Brian insists he’s not making fun (and I don’t think he was, I think he was just caught off guard), and Justin gets this look on his face that says, “Aren’t you?” Brian has this wonderfully painful, “WTF are you talking about?” look because he knows, but I don’t think he understands, or he understands, he just refuses to accept it?

Finally Brian says, “Look, you’re making me fucking nervous as hell. Just tell me what you want, what you decided, so we can go to bed and fuck.” This was the part I loved because it totally exposed Brian’s fear, and the fact that he knew he exposed it and tried to cover it up. It’s also interesting to note that Brian never said, “tell me what you want, I’ll give it to you”, because for Brian that’s never an option, which of course is the problem. Justin tells Brian that he already knows what Justin wants and he’s told him plenty of times. Brian agrees that Justin has listed his desires, “A husband. A family. A Home. All the things that make life worth living.” Justin hits the counter beside him, “Would you fucking cut it out? Just STOP it.” Brian looks perplexed and a bit surprised that his little sunshine is yelling at him like this. Justin continues, “And I know you can’t give me those things.” Brian regains some of his jerkitude and says, “Not can’t. Can’t implies that I’m incapable. It’s that I won’t.” Justin stupidly says, “I accept that. I suppose it’s why I’ve always loved you.” Brian and the rest of the world snort snidely, “Oh, the un-tameable beast.” Justin’s not one to get deterred though, and says, “But to be a couple, both people have to want the same things. To move in the same direction. If they can’t… or won’t, they really have nowhere to go. Brian agrees with this sentiment, and Justin asks, “Then why are we still doing this if we both know it’s never going to work?” Brian is quiet, but looks like he’s going to cry, again his eyes are really gorgeous. All Brian says is, “Damned if I know.” Justin looks at Brian, wanting more, but not receiving it.

He begins to walk off leaving Brian there grasping at the last threads of his pride. Justin walks to the bedroom where he puts on his jacket. He seems to pause just slightly as if giving Brian one more chance, but then he grabs some pre-packed bags and heads towards the door. Brian rolls his eyes in a “I can’t believe this is happening, this is such a hetero thing!” type of way that seems to be a front. He crosses the kitchen to meet Justin. Justin sets his bags down in what seems to be a way of saying, “We could have been happy, but you chose otherwise” only a little sweeter. Justin grabs Brian and pulls him into a hug. It makes my neck hurt and I wish Justin would step on his bag for more leverage. Brian waits for a minute and then puts his arms around Justin. This is when the tears started, I’m the biggest sap in the world. We get a long shot of Sunshine not wanting to let go, but knowing he has to. We cut to Brian who’s seeming to look away from the situation. Finally he asks, “Where ya going?” Justin says, “I’ll figure it out.” Brian seems to break the hug abruptly. I think he knows on the verge and won’t let that happen. Justin grabs his bags and makes his way for the door. “Let me know.” Brian says looking at Justin one last time. Justin is about to say something but declines. This is the weird thing about Brian, because I don’t know how much he loves Justin. Meaning, I know he cares, but at this point in the scene, is he reacting to Justin leaving, or to rejection in general? It’s a very interesting scenario.

Jerrod: This is kind of parallel to when Hunter left.

StickyKeys: Yeah, I was thinking that too, except I think the difference is that Ben and Michael had things they should have said but couldn’t, and Brian has things he should have said but wouldn’t.

Nina: I hate that they let Brian get away with that shit, I mean how long do you have to get screwed over before you tell Brian to hit the fucking road?

StickyKeys: Apparently 4 years.

Jerrod: Or four weeks.


Little Lesbians in Pretty Boxes
Grandpa Ron tells Gus he’s turned into a monster! And indeed he has, that kid grows an inch each episode. Lindsay is unpacking a suitcase and her mother is on the bed not helping. Linds is already reliving the horrors of living at home when she discovers that her mom still has her prom picture up. I can’t see it clearly from her, but her hair seems to be even worse back then so maybe I won’t rag on her too much about it now? Nah. Even Linds comments on the ugliness of her hair and gown and says it’s embarrassing, but Mama Peterson disagrees, “You know sometimes I come in here and I just sit.” This surprises Linds and her mother says, “Sometimes I feel it’s all I have left of you.” And of course that’s completely Linds’ fault, darn her for wanting to be a lesbian! Linds thanks her mom for her generosity and Ma Peterson says it’s her pleasure. She then tells Lindsay that they have some people coming for dinner tonight, “Just Al and Lois Zagerman and someone from Dad’s office.”

Lindsay dodges everyone of the falling anvils in that statement and tells her mom not to worry because she’ll stay out of the way. Not to be set back, Ma Peterson pulls out the big guns telling Linds, “Elvira’s making your favorite, Salmon in dill sauce. (That would be Linds favorite) I told her it was your welcome home dinner!” I knew right then that Ma Peterson was up to no good. How do you plan a welcome home dinner and then invite people, and then not tell the person who’s coming home? I had to break my mom of that real early. It’s a long story, but it involved me in pajamas and rollers and picking prime rib out of my teeth with my pinky nail. Sometimes experience is the best teacher. Lindsay caves much to her mother’s delight, “So good to have you back.” Linds looks pleasantly surprised, and I know it’s one thing to search for love, but I never knew Lindsay to be this needy. I remember how during her wedding her parents wouldn’t pay for it and she was devastated but she pulled through. I guess at that time she was with Mel, but still, very odd.


StickyKeys, Nina, Jerrod: SSsnnnzzzzzzzz


Previous Page

Next Page

Enter your email address below to subscribe to QAF Season 5 Recaps!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.