Sunday, July 03, 2005

Life of Brian: QAF Recap 507 06-26-05 Page 12

A Lesson In Standards
by StickyKeys Queer As Folk Episode 507 Aired 06-26-05



Carrying The Banner!
We are at the LGBT center and boy do these people know how to have a meeting! Every time they have one it’s filled to the brim. Like the Save-a-Soul mission on the night of Nathan’s big crap game, and look, Black People! One of them looks like Lamar Latrell from Revenge of the Nerds so maybe we will get that funky “No On 14!” theme song I’ve been jonesin’ for; I got my keyboard guitar ready boys! Michael comes in and Deb waves him over saying she saved seats. Emmett says hello and asks where Ben is. Michael makes up an excuse and says that Ben had other things to do, “What’s more important that this?” Deb asks. I could have asked her the same thing, she’s only saying this because there’s no new gossip on the JustBri front. Michael thankfully doesn’t get to answer as a chick named Tannis (rhymes with Janice) starts the meeting.

“Here to help us is one of the organizers of Stop Prop, 14 Congresswoman Beth Edelstein. You know if Torontosburg is so “homo-ineffectual”, how did she get elected? Beth takes her place at the front of the room and begins, “As you know our rights as full and equal citizens of the US are being threatened (and she’s lesbian? what?), not by outside forces or terrorists, but by our own government, by religious leaders and their effort to strip us of our humanity. They claim that God is on their side.” Poor God, He must hate being misrepresented, especially by a show like QAF. “And by other Americans acting out of hate and ignorance.” They’ve started passing around a sign up sheet to get names of volunteers. “We have got to stop them, but it’s not going to be easy. ‘Vote to save America’, can you believe that that’s what their calling themselves, has many supporters and is well funded.” Ben comes in and asks if he can sign up, he’s so pretty. “That’s why we’re going to need the help of everyone in this room as well as your family and your friends to donate as much time and money as you can.” Could they start a petition to annul the other petition, or at least counter the law if it ever gets made and put on the ballot? I know when Lincoln out their smoking ban into place, there was a vote for the total ban, and a vote for the partial ban. The total ban won out, but at least the option was there. Also, what exactly is the money going towards? If they need supplies couldn’t they be donated? Unless it’s to pay petitioners who are ruthlessly uncouth and liars (I was one briefly) in which they could just use volunteers. Do I have to ‘whatever!’ a congresswoman? “Volunteer to serve on various committees make calls canvass neighborhoods, sign up and fight as if your future depends on it, because it does.”

The meeting ends and Ted, Em, Deb, and Justin all discuss outside. Deb asks, “Whoever though it’d come to this huh? Fighting for our lives.” I wonder about her use of the word, “our”, but I think they were going for more of a sentiment thing. Emmett says, “Well, it’s what we always had to do,” and Ted says that this time they’ll just have to do it harder. Optimist, down for the cause Justin is in full force and proclaims himself to be up for it. Everyone else agrees that they are too and they all give Justin a little kissy goodbye. Ted’s kiss is a little timid and it cracks me up because I always think of this awesome banner goldenhera made that says Ted + Justin = Money grubbing, man whoring love from the Scott and Peter extra interview.

Ben and Michael come out and Michael says he’s glad Ben changed his mind. When asked why, Ben replies, “With his eyes fixed firmly in the past he failed to see the future, so by the present he was destroyed.” Michael breaks it down for us like were two year olds and says, “I guess you’re trying to tell me that if you didn’t do anything and we lost you’d never forgive yourself?” Ben thinks Michael’s got it and I’m very surprised that they didn’t start making out because it would be such a MiBen thing to do.


Ain’t No Sunshine When He’s Gone
Brian is wearing his fabulous black wool pea coat, and walking down the street where he runs into Justin,
“Hey.”
“Hey.” Was this where they first saw each other? I don’t think so, but it would have been a nice little throw back.
“How was the meeting?” Brian asks pointing out Justin’s abnormally huge Stop Prop 14 button.
“You should have been there.” Brian shakes his head,
“I’m not Rage, saving Gayolopis isn’t my thing.” Which is true, Brian’s thing is more like spending $100,000 under the pseudonym “Citizens for Change”, and almost having to declare bankruptcy to save Gayopolis.
“You doing okay?” Brian asks,
“Yeah I’m fine, and you?”
“Likewise, thanks for asking.” I love this scene because there’s so much that could be said between the lines that’s not. It’s a very sweet very awkward moment. After a beat Justin says,
“Well, I guess I better get going.”
“Me too, take care of yourself.”
“You too.”
“Okay see ya.”
“See ya.”

Jerrod: Wow, how embarrassingly awkward.

Nina: I know, that’s why I moved to DC, so I don’t have to run into ex-boyfriends.

Jerrod: I have one ex like that. I thought he was the one and I fucked it up, now every time I see him is just weird.

SK: How old are you? How have you managed to have this lifetime of experiences?

Jerrod: I put out at an early age.

We end with the suckiest version of You are My Sunshine I’ve ever heard. I’m not going to do the Next On because it’s so spoilerish and weird and doesn’t make sense for them to show what they do. The only thing I can say is, Ben smoking? I’ll talk about it at the beginning of the next recap.

Until next week, have fun kiddies!!


Ps. Next week I’m going on VACATION! So, if I get to watch the ep on Sunday, I’ll post the recaplet on Monday. Otherwise expect it Thursday and the recap by that Sunday.


Previous Page

Don't Forget to Leave a Comment!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARH!I so love your friends, all of mines are bitter and grumpy, thou i just tried to turn most of themm gay...but whatever. Yes, I knida like the steamy thing before the ben flippy thing, that's sorta kida hot. And Em dancing is always sexy. Jesus's jacket that he wore was fucking awsome and I love how Brian was through this eppy, so emotional ( or atleast as emotional as he gotten all season) and funny. I loved how Em was dancing in circles saying "Aunt pitty fuck" cause for some od reason it reminded me of the black guy on Dave Chapelle's show where he does the robot in the background, the crack head? That's just what popped into my mind. Oh and I think Michael needs a leash now, because God forbid he finally starts growning some balls.

As usual your recap rocks major ass.
Can't wait till next week!
Oh and happy vacation

7/03/2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

You are a fast reader!

ASHY LARRY!! 2nd only to Charlie Murphy as the best side characters on that show!

You're Elliot B*tch! And You're AWESOME [/kutcher]

7/03/2005 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Screw your courage to the sticking plate" is from Macbeth :)

7/03/2005 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! And I thought I was the only one who hated "You Are My Sunshine"!! It made me cry, and it was a horrible remake :/

Oh, and I really want to know what was in the Next On now, haha. I download the eps so I don't get to see the previews!

7/03/2005 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This season sucks.

Where is the comedy, where is the love, where is the hot sex?

There have been nothnig but departures, break ups and sadness. Perhaps the entire season for me is being tainted by the looming shadow of QAF Armagedeon.

I hate goodbyes.

7/03/2005 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your recaps!

Relieved that Justin finally came to his senses and left Brian. The kid grew some balls and became a man. About bloody time!

The B/J relationship always bugged me. Hunter was 17 and Ben&Michael adopted him as their son. Justin was 17 and Brian fucked him and then took him in as his sex toy. Now both Hunter and Justin have left their Daddies. Ironic, huh?

"I think it’s also important to mention that everything Justin has mentioned has been material, and what Justin wanted was more emotional. "

I totally agree. Brian uses his money to buy people. Writing a check is his answer to everything. Sadly, his friends are all greedy freeloaders. I know all the Brian lovers point out that he paid for Justin's tuition, bought him a computer, gave him a place to live, and takes him to expensive restaurants - but that's NOT love. That's a Sugar Daddy. Justin was nothing more than a household pet to Brian. Nice to have around but it knows its place and never bites the hand that feeds.

It's good to see Justin finally stand up for himself. Everyone knows he's always wanted love. That's why he left his sugar daddy for that poor chin-rat violinist to live in his shit-hole apartment. And he was perfectly happy until chin-rat cheated on him. I was disappointed with Justin for coming crawling back to Brian after that. Hopefully, this time the split will be permanent!

7/03/2005 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent recap, as always. I was laughing to the point of tearing up. Nina and Jerrod were an excellent addition to the mix. I loved your discussions between the sections. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch that cheese sandwich seen, again, without cracking up.

Did a tiny bit of research (Google) and found the following about goyim:
"Goy" [plural: goyim, adjective: goyishe] is the standard Hebrew term for non-Jew. Literally it is the Hebrew for "nation." Spoken aloud with a disgusted inflection, it's pejorative. So is the word 'Jew' in
similar circumstances. Better to say "gentile" or "non-Jew" when writing in English for a multireligious audience, such as SCJ. In general, the use of judgemental or pejorative terms, even if no offense is intended, should be avoided. They only serve to incite anger and side-track the conversation. True conversation comes from being factual and appropriately neutral.


Mikou

7/03/2005 4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always a hilarious recap and very true. By the way I didn't make that banner I got it from the Ted & Justin LJ group because I was so in love with that interview.
~Tiff a.k.a. GoldenHera

7/03/2005 6:49 PM  
Blogger StickyKeys said...

Elliot:

all of mines are bitter and grumpy, thou i just tried to turn most of themm gay...but whatever

They’re haters! Don’t they know that you’re Elliot, B8TCH!?

**

MacBeth? Bah!

**

Ashwini:

I loved the sentiment of the song, but I hated the execution. I definitely would have loved “Ain’t No Sunshine” a whole lot better.

**

where is the hot sex?

Indeed! Because while Troy is Teh Hottness, T&T do not Teh Hottness make!

**

Now both Hunter and Justin have left their Daddies.

I love that. I wrote a thing about the dynamic between Hunter and Justin and I knew the scenes were very parallel. I’m glad you added this to it!

**

Thanks for the info Mikou! That helps a lot. Google knows all.

**

Golden Hera:

I’m sorry, did you say there was a Ted & Justin LJ Group! runs to join, runs to join.
Hee! Thanks girl!

7/04/2005 12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so love your blog. I truly loved reading it. The part about Brian and Brandon competition where you thought was parallel to Zeus and Hercules...really made me laugh so hard. like a lunatic laughing all by herself in front of the monitor. i know it's been like seven years but i just thought maybe i should let you know how much fun i had in reading yours and your friends' insights on the show. thank you for this blog.:)

1/11/2012 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so love your blog. I truly loved reading it. The part about Brian and Brandon competition where you thought was parallel to Zeus and Hercules...really made me laugh so hard. like a lunatic laughing all by herself in front of the monitor. i know it's been like seven years but i just thought maybe i should let you know how much fun i had in reading yours and your friends' insights on the show. thank you for this blog.:)

1/11/2012 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to QAF Season 5 Recaps!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.