Sunday, July 03, 2005

Life of Brian: QAF Recap 507 06-26-05 Page 2

A Lesson In Standards
by StickyKeys Queer As Folk Episode 507 Aired 06-26-05

Cry – ha – ha – ha – in… Over Him
Ben is sitting in the dark on Hunter’s bed in his room. Michael comes in with a wicked case of bedhead and says he wondered where Ben was.
“I rolled over and you weren’t there, what are you doing?” Ben is looking 16 shades of hot, but it’s sad, pouty hot, so it’s like a whole other dimension of hot. “Sitting here. Thinking.” Michael is worried about Ben and tells him to just come back to bed. Ben, of course, can’t sleep.

They are worried about Hunter and wondering where he is and hoping he’s alright. My question is, why don’t they go and get him, or at least find out where he is? Some posters on Moldy’s board correctly identified that Carl is a detective and would easily be able to keep an eye out for the boy. Or, you know Torontosburgh is only 10 square miles, they could just go for a walk and look for him. I hate this whole “Hunter has to be independent” thing because we know where it got him last time. At least try to go get him back.

Ben keeps search for something they could have said, they should have said, that would’ve changed his mind. Michael says Ben won’t think of anything because there isn’t anything (which, I know they’re feeling bad, but that’s a lie), he was determined to leave so he left. “There wasn’t anything we could have done to stop him. Why are you beating yourself up over it?” I don’t necessarily like Michael’s reaction, but I do like that he’s reacting this way because it’s totally a Michael thing to do. For the sake of drama I would have liked to see him get all riled up, but more on that in a bit.

“Because he was my blood.” Ben answers, and I totally understand that. There have been lots of scenes where Ben took ownership of Hunter. He tried to help him cope with being different because Ben knew what it was to go through those changes. He tells Michael, “You still have a healthy baby daughter Michael. She’ll be loved, sent to a good school. Raised in a world where she’ll have every chance, every opportunity. Not like Hunter who had nothing, less than nothing.”

Ben wanted to give him all the things he never had, and so did Michael, but Ben says he failed. Michael says they gave him a home, everything they could of themselves to make him part of their family. Ben realizes this but has one final question,
“Then why isn’t he still here?”

Jerrod: Michael looks really good in red- oh damn, and some gel, look at that bed head! (Michael looks like he has about 6 layers of spray on hair on his head. It’s hilarious because you know Dep stays in business because of him.)

SK: Look at Ben’s hair! (Ben is sporting some man-bangs. Like fresh out the rollers man-bangs. Are man-bangs gay? Because I like to think that they are, but then is that insulting to homosexuals? Because I think it is.) I have an elementary school picture where I sported bangs like that.

Jerrod: How did you not have a boyfriend? (After I get done beating the crap out of him with the nearest pillow, I ask Nina and Jerrod to weigh in on the rest of the scene.)

Nina: I still don’t get why they let him leave!

SK: Me neither, and I don’t know if they’re just not experienced, but they’ve grown really lax in their parenting. It used to be that Hunter was constantly getting yelled at about something, anything. Then all of a sudden they’re like, “Hunters a man now, he can make man-choices!” It’s a weird character development, mostly for Ben I think.

Jerrod: I remember you wrote something about how they change Ben to fit a storyline, and I think it’s most true here.

Nina: Ben is the only one who really goes crazy with the changes huh? First he’s one thing, then another.

SK: Your insight in that matter was spellbinding. (After I get beat down with a pillow, we continue.)

Nina: What was up with Michael in this scene? I mean that was his kid too, why didn’t he act more concerned.

Jerrod: You do that a lot [SK], you’re getting better, but I know times I used to call you and be all mad about some shit that happened, and you’d be like, “just calm down”. Used to stress me the fuck out.

SK: I do that a lot. And there are lots of reasons for it, but I think the one that relates to this scene is that Michael sees himself in a position that isn’t going anywhere. They could go look for him, but they won’t. They could ask Carl to look for him, but they’re not. So what’s the point of getting frustrated over something that’s not going to change? The problem with that logic is that sometimes you just want to be mad.

Nina: Ooh girl, yes! Sometimes you just want to cuss someone out and you know it isn’t rational, but dang.

SK: Exactly. If Michael were to realize that, I think he would have sat with Ben for a while, or something.

Jerrod: Yeah, look at you! Learning and applying, and stuff!

SK: QAF has changed my life… and it’s been for the better.

Nina: Now let’s all join hands and sing in the words of the old homo dance club hit, Q-A-F, Q-A-F, thank the mighty Diva there is Q-A-F!

Jerrod: What’s that sound?

SK: It sounds like someone rolling in their grave, huh.


Previous Page

Next Page

Enter your email address below to subscribe to QAF Season 5 Recaps!


powered by Bloglet
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.